Saturday, December 27, 2008

Romero

Have just finished watching one of my favourite films, "Romero". I've been looking for a DVD of this for a while and only just recently found one in the Paulist bookshop just before Christmas. The movie tells the story of Archbishop Oscar Romero in El Salvador. It draws out the themes of power, poverty, non-violent resistance and sacrifice in a way that I'm sure doesn't accidentally reflect the gospel story of Jesus.

You can see a little more about the film here. If you can find it, I highly recommend it. If it is true that we understand new concepts primarily through analogy from our own experience, then I have to say that the Jesus story was made clearer to me through seeing something of Archbishop Romero's life.

Two weeks before he was murdered, Romero made these comments in an interview:

"I have frequently been threatened by death. I ought to say that, as a Christian I do not believe in death without resurrection. If they kill me I will rise again in the people of El Salvador. I am not boasting. I say it with the greatest humility. I am bound, as a pastor, by a divine command to give my life for those whom I love, and that is all Salvadoreans, even those who are going to kill me.

Martyrdom is a grace from God which I do not believe I deserve. But if God accepts the sacrifice of my life, then may my blood be the seed of liberty, and a sign that hope will soon become a reality.

May my death, if it is accepted by God, be for the liberation of my people, and as a witness of hope in what is to come. ... But I wish that [those who want to kill me] could realize that they are wasting their time. A bishop may die, but the Church of God, which is the people, will never die."

2 comments:

Capt Christopher said...

Hi Jason
Being raised as an engaged Catholic I have known of Romero for a long while.

A great deal of how I see God and why I am both a Salvationist and an Officer has been influenced by this holy gentle revolutionary.

Thank you for this remdinder of this great man.

and remember

"El pueblo unido jamás será vencido"

JDK said...

The people united will never be defeated? My Spanish isn't very good! Thanks for your comment.