Thursday, October 16, 2008

The Burden of Choice

I sometimes feel frustrated when I see people making what I think are bad choices for their lives. I know that I sound like a total control freak - and there may be some truth in that - but it really can be difficult to work closely with people, to achieve some success together and then watch them take themselves backwards. If I remove myself from the situation for a moment, I realise that I am unconsciously associating their progress with my own. This is an unfair imposition to place on someone else's life and an impossible one for me to manage. I may try to justify this by reminding myself that part of the reason for my involvement is that I truly care about those I work with. The cost of this care is that I can offer advice but I can't make other people's choices for them. Sometimes I might even be humble enough to remember that not all my choices have been the best.

No comments: