Monday, September 15, 2008

Some thoughts from Proverbs

These words from Proverbs 31:8-9 were given to me on the occasion of my commissioning as a Salvation Army officer and they continue to exist as a challenge to me.
Speak out for those who cannot speak, for the rights of all the destitute.
Speak out, judge righteously, defend the rights of the poor and needy.
The preceding 2 verses weren't read out on that occasion, but they belong together because they sit in tension with the work that we do.
Give strong drink to one who is perishing, and wine to those in bitter distress;
let them drink and forget their poverty, and remember their misery no more.
The tone of these verses is a bit more defeatist than my own, but I understand where the sentiment comes from. The juxtaposition is interesting in itself and may be more representative of our social struggles than we care to admit?

No comments: