Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Covenant

Today I was lucky to be able to share in the annual ACC Officers Day. I spoke on the topic of 'salvation' and managed to get through without being crucified, so that counts as a good day for me.

In one of the final sessions we discussed the soldiers covenant and the difficulties created by the 'gap' that exists between officers and soldiers. From my perspective, soldiership entails active participation in the mission of The Salvation Army. When I became an officer, I didn't magically become more competent (unfortunately), I didn't suddenly become more holy (unsurprisingly) - but I did become more available. Officership allows me to do the work that I feel called to do without having to hold down a second job in order to support myself and my family.

The introduction of ordination into officership has confused function with status - and as a result has disempowered the laity, our soldiership. Let's reconsider the meaning of a 'priesthood of all believers' as we review the structures within our movement that systemically devalue our soldiers.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

JDK

Another great word today and another great start to ACC.

Limo

Anonymous said...

Not so sure that the introduction of ordination into officership disempowered the laity. This seems to be a simple explanation to a problem that developed over a longer period of time.

I have no doubt that it helped in the process, but suspect that there are many other factors at work that we are unwilling or unable to address.

Graham

JDK said...

Thanks Limo.

Graham, I agree actually but ordination sure was a big nail in the coffin.

Regards, JDK

JDK said...

Thanks Limo.

Graham, I agree actually but ordination sure was a big nail in the coffin.

Regards, JDK