Saturday, August 30, 2008

Thinking about Salvation

I've been asked to speak on the topic of salvation at an upcoming conference and will be spending some time over the next few weeks reflecting again upon this subject. Some rereading of material that I researched for my thesis is likely to provide some food for thought in this blog. Today I'm sharing some thoughts from a book called Salvation and Liberation (ed. D. English):
Paradoxically, it is in communities where people are denied certain basic human rights, such as proper housing, educational facilities and amenities, where the old always feel a sense of insecurity in the community, where racism is a daily reality, where children who have been retarded and amputated socially, emotionally, educationally, physically and spiritually are not able to grow in a caring environment, it is in these communities that society should be striving to provide salvation and liberation, not theoretically, but in a real human context...Salvation and liberation are not illusions, whimsical dreams or imaginary things; rather they are the realities of human lives and conditions. (p.109)

2 comments:

David said...

Remind people that sacrificial death and the "blood of Christ" are crude and meaningless concepts that are irrelevant to salvation.

They're to be rejected, like the concepts of Hell, spiritual entities and souls.

Just tell people the Bible is a set of inspirational stories. That'll knock their socks off.

JDK said...

Not exactly the agenda that I had in mind, but I am in agreement that the Bible is inspirational. I'll send you a copy of my talk when I get it written up.

Regards, JDK