Thursday, August 28, 2008

Choices

I can no longer remember where I first found this passage, but I come back to it periodically and continue to find it relevant and challenging:
In every life there are a few special moments that count for more than all the rest because they meant the taking of a stand, a self-commitment, a decisive choice… The turning points in life are generally few in number. They are always an encounter … before which the subject cannot remain neutral. One has to take sides, commit oneself.

I've written before that one of the recognisable characteristics of poverty is a significant reduction in the choices available for any particular life decision. I often regret the choices others have made when I see the consequences for their lives, but I'm not sure I can always understand how limited those choices seemed for them at the time. Of course people have a responsibility for the choices that they make and how much more important are those choices when they affect the lives of others.

No comments: