Saturday, August 16, 2008

Addicted to the West Wing

I put it off for a long time, but I've finally succumbed to The West Wing and I must say I'm loving it. It's a brilliantly writted drama set in the White House and so far I'm sailing through the second season on DVD. An episode I watched today included a reference to the US involvement in WW2 that picks up a social aspect to a theme I've been writing about lately.

Here the Deputy Chief of Staff, Josh is talking about Franklin Roosevelt's commitment to the allied war effort:
JOSH: Turn to the page I flagged.
DONNA: The Lend-Lease Act.
JOSH: Yeah. Simply put, a loan of arms to Russia and Britain, with the understanding that they'd pay us back when the war was over. And he said this, he said, "If your neighbor's house is on fire, you don't haggle over the price of your garden hose." Frank Kelly in South Carolina wouldn't... There are too many things in the world we can't do. Mexico's on fire. Why help them? Because we can.

2 comments:

Megan Mundy said...

Bring on the West Wing! I'm three quaters way through the 2nd series too. There are some brilliant moments. I love the end of the 2nd series - have you reached it yet?

JDK said...

Perhaps proof that I'm watching way too much is that I'm about to finish the 3rd series...