Friday, May 9, 2008

Objectivity

Is there really such a thing as objectivity or are we just kidding ourselves about varying degrees of subjectivity? If history is written by the winners and all theology is contextual, if our cultural and psycho-social conditioning determines the way we view our existence, then what is left that can be said objectively anymore?

This is one of the dilemnas of post-modernism that I'm yet to hear a satisfactory response about. I know that my perspective is conditioned by a number of predetermined factors and whilst I'm aware of some of them, I'm not sure I can remove their influence altogether. I'm not content with accepting that there is nothing that I come to understand that can be applied to or by others. Perhaps we need to think more about where our realities intersect and the significance of these points?

No comments: