Monday, May 26, 2008

Critical Mass of the Disinherited

I love The Salvation Army's focus on the 'lost, last and the least'. I am proud to be part of an organisation that places a priority on caring for those whom others have forgotten. We refuse to relegate people to the 'too hard basket'.

Sometimes though, I wonder whether there will always be room for them all? Does the time ever come when we can no longer make the space necessary for another person with a multitude of issues and problems? Is there a point of critical mass where the combinations of mental illness, drug and alcohol addictions, histories of abuse, loss and trauma can no longer all exist harmoniously together?

I honestly don't know the answer to these questions but I will continue to do everything possible to make as much space as possible for people who have few other options.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I believe that if all Corps would welcome those who have multitude of problems - those including our middle class corps there could be room for many more as we need those who do not have what would be classed as major issues to walk beside those that do and help them to become whole.

JDK said...

I'm right with you Anon!