Thursday, May 29, 2008

Balancing Spirituality

I read something today that suggested that Salvationists need to find the right balance between spirituality and social action. I don't disagree but I would have to contend that understanding the relationship between these two is fundamental to any attempt at balance.

I think the basic model which suggests that classical spiritual practices such as prayer and meditation are the 'fuel' which empowers us to re-enter the battleground of social action in the world is missing a vital point. I believe that we need to rediscover the meaning of compassionate acts as spiritual practices. We connect with God when we respond to a person in need, not just as a prerequisite to that response.

The rediscovery of the spiritual nature of social action doesn't replace other spiritual practices but it does help to inform them and shape their place in our lives.

No comments: