Friday, April 4, 2008

Preferential Option for the Poor

If God has a preferential option for the poor - where does that leave the rich, or the middle classes for that matter? I've spent the past 5 years (and a few before that) thinking about mission with the poor, theology of the poor, a christology of the poor. At some point, I need to be able to answer the question - what about everyone else?

Firstly, let me say that I don't have this all figured out by any means. However, my gut feeling is that there is a closer relationship here than may be immediately obvious. Jesus' primary advice to the rich was to 'sell all you have and give to the poor'. The rich, and this is a relative concept (globally speaking it includes pretty much all Australians), have a responsibility to learn to share what they have with those who have less.

I think that the middle classes and the rich are called into mission alongside the poor - not to be patronising, but to share deeply in their lives and to learn together what fullness of life can really be like. Taking the first step is the hardest part.

No comments: