Sunday, March 9, 2008

Extortion

I've never been an avid watcher of the Sopranos and I don't remember much detail from the Godfather films. However, I'm pretty sure that when someone rings you on a regular basis asking for money to mitigate the likelihood of you having a terrible accident and possibly dying - that's called something like extortion or maybe blackmail. My bank does this to me about every 6 months.

They call it 'life insurance' or 'income protection' but it amounts to the same thing - particularly when the person on the other end of the phone starts talking in detail about the terrible things that could soon happen to you and your family.

Funny thing is that some Christians have a similar view of their faith - it's a 'hell avoidance policy' or something like that. Surely the essence of Christianity has to be more than a fearful response to a threatening and vengeful God? This isn't about questioning the reality of heaven or hell - but would you really live differently if they weren't a factor in your faith? Do you think that's God's intention?

2 comments:

David said...

I think Christians should offer up their places in heaven for those more deserving.

That would be real self sacrifice.

JDK said...

I like it!